Saturday, August 23, 2008

British Cacti and Succulent Society National Show

Well, last weekend I went to the British Cacti and Succulent National Show. I nearly didn't make it because the weekend before I'd been in hospital with acute tonsilitis (the tonsils come out in December, so hopefully will not be a problem for long!). Anyway, the only reason I went was to meet Paul Shirley and to see his collection of Hoyas.
Paul was lovely. The show was fairly interesting too. Unfortunately I'm not really a cacti person and, although I find stapelias/huernias fairly interesting, they'll only hold my interest for so long.

I found Paul fairly fast. It wasn't hard, given that he was fairly close to the entrance and the only one selling hoyas. Here he is doing his stuff.

Here is a photo of some of the plants he was selling:


There were all sorts, even a couple of dischidas hiding in amongst the hoyas, waiting to be sold. He sold all his big plants, which included imperialis, variegated kerrii and a couple of baskets of linearis and shepherdii.


I bought dykiae, GPS 81079 (similar to obscura) and meliflua. Here they are after I'd potted them up:

1 comment:

Manuela said...

You are very lucky Hillary!!!

It would be a dream for me if sometime I can find all this hoya plant from Paul in my country.

Congratulations for your new ones. Are beautiful!!!

Kisses from Mallorca. Manuela